State Residential or General Contractors License

Certain contractors who perform remodeling or new home construction, basically anything to do with the building structure should usually be presumed to be required to have a state license. They have a “pocket card” they can show you. You can look up their state license information on websites for the State of Georgia. Contractors who have a state license should be able to provide a license number that begins: RB (for Residential Basic), RLC (for Residential Light Commercial) or GC (for General Contractor). Any of these state licensed contractors may perform construction work on single family homes other than work which requires a license under Chapter 14 (explained below). Be sure to have the contractor specifiy in their contract with you that they are state licensed and their license number.

Secretary of State Handel Reminds Georgians about Contractor Licensing Law, Warns Consumers about Potential Contractor Scams.

Consumers should know that is illegal for a homeowner to obtain a building permit and use an unlicensed contractor to manage construction services. The person or business who obtains the permit could also assume the majority of liability for the project, leaving the consumer with little to no legal recourse

Trying to save money? Beware of hiring unlicensed contractors. They could be more expensive than you think.

Some of the drawbacks of using an unlicensed contractor are obvious. Shoddy workmanship, inability to enforce warranties, lack of manufacturer warranties, damages to the property and improvements and failure of completed work to comply with applicable building codes are frequent complaints. If the work performed by the contractor does not comply with local or state codes and ordinances, the building department or agency with jurisdiction may stop the work and, if the work is complete, require corrective work to be performed. Corrective work may consist of hiring a licensed contractor to remove the improvement altogether or prepare and submit the documents necessary to obtain a permit. Of course, the corrective work is an additional expense not contemplated when initially engaging the contractor. Moreover, the local enforcement authority generally has the power to levy fines for building code violations. The fines, which may accrue on a daily basis, may result in a lien against the property.

Contact Us

Not sure what to do next ? Who to call ? Which company to go with? How does the remodel thing work?

Call us today at 770-516-1602 – 770-516-7253, set up a free consultation. We will answer all your questions.

JD Kitchens Baths & More can handle all of your project needs, complete…… for a happy experience.
A completed project, start to finish, no one else to call.